• Ujina Army Provisions Depot

Originally built in 1911 as a canning factory in the Ujina Army Provisions Depot, the beautiful brick building served the Ujina Branch of the Imperial Army, and was responsible for producing, procuring, storing, and delivering food for soldiers and feed for warhorses.

Located 3.21 kilometers from the hypocenter, the building was spared from complete destruction, however, despite its distance from the hypocenter, the steel roof rafters bend inwards from the sheer force of the August 6 blast.

The building was restored to its former glory and reopened as the Hiroshima City Museum of History and Traditional Crafts in May 1985; one of the bent rafters is currently displayed above the entrance.

Information

Ujina Army Provisions Depot

  • Address
    2-6-20 Ujina-Miyuki, Minami-Ku, Hiroshima City
  • Tel
    082-253-6771
  • Time
    9 am to 5 pm (admission ends at 4:30 pm)
  • Access
    Streetcar: Take the 5 streetcar line headed for Hiroshima Port (Hiroshima-kō // 広島港) and get off at Ujina Ni-chōme (宇品二丁目).
  • Fee
    Adults: 100 yen
    High school students: 50 yen
    Senior citizens 65 or older: 50 yen
    Middle school students and younger: Free

    Group Rates (for groups of 30 or more):
    Adults: 80 yen
    Senior citizens 65 and older: 30 yen
    High school students: 30 yen
    Middle school students and younger: Free
  • Holiday
    Mondays (except for national holidays which fall on Mondays; in which case the museum will be closed the following day)

    New Years (12/29 to 1/3)

    The museum reserves the right to be closed on non-specified days; please contact them directly to see if they will be open.


  • MAP
    [map]
    Tap the name of the facility on Google Map and tap "View on Google Maps" to launch the application.

Places of peace near you: