• The Former Hiroshima Branch of the Bank of Japan

Originally established in 1905, the Former Hiroshima Branch of the Bank of Japan was a classic European beauty built of steel-reinforced ferro-concrete and equipped with armored shutters on the windows.

A mere 380 meters from the hypocenter, the blast gutting the entire top floor where the armored shutters were left open. However, the shutters on the first and second floor remained closed, saving the interior from complete destruction. Of the remaining hibaku building, it is said to be the most well-preserved.

On August 8, just two days after the bomb, the bank reopened for withdrawals and provided spaces where the temporary branches of other financial institutions could operate. With permission from the Bank of Japan, the building was registered by Hiroshima City as an official hibaku building in 1993, and was then designated as an Important Cultural Property in July 2000.

Open to the public for free, the former bank now serves the community as a historical learning space, and as a space for cultural and art events.

Information

The Former Hiroshima Branch of the Bank of Japan

  • Address
    5-21 Fukuro-machi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima
  • Tel
    082-504-2500
  • Time
    10 am to 5 pm (hours may be extended due to special exhibits)
  • Access
    Streetcar: Take the 5 streetcar line headed for Hiroshima Port (Hiroshima-kō // 広島港) and get off at Fukuro-machi (袋町).
  • Fee
    Admission is free.
  • Holiday
    New Years (12/29 to 1/3)
  • BarrierFree
    Wheelchair-accessible elevators available.
  • MAP
    [map]
    Tap the name of the facility on Google Map and tap "View on Google Maps" to launch the application.

Places of peace near you: