広島陸軍糧秣支廠倉庫(レンガ壁面モニュメント)
  • The Hiroshima Army Provisions Storehouse Monument

The Hiroshima Army Provisions Storehouse served as a storehouse for military provisions. Built out of bricks in 1910, the Storehouse stood parallel to Ujina Station, the last stop on a military railroad line that ran all the way to Hiroshima Station at the far west side of the Sanyo Railway.

Ujina Port had long served as a transport base for overseas military operations, notably during the Sino-Japanese War from 1894 to 1895, and the port would continue in this role until the end of WWII.

Due to its distance from the hypocenter, the storehouse was left relatively unscathed after the August 6 bombing. Victims of the bombing were housed and treated in many of the neighboring military facilities in Ujina, and post-war, the building was used as a storehouse for Nippon Express, a transportation company.

In 1997, it was slated for demolition to make way for the Hiroshima Minami Highway, but due to its historical significance as a hibaku building, a portion of the storehouse was preserved and incorporated into a monument.

Information

The Hiroshima Army Provisions Storehouse Monument

  • Address
    3-11 Ujina-kaigan, Minami-ku, Hiroshima City
  • Access
    Streetcar: Take the 1 or 5 streetcar line headed for Hiroshima Port (Hiroshima-kō // 広島港) and get off at Kaigan-dori (海岸通); it's about a 15 minute walk from there.
  • MAP
    [map]
    Tap the name of the facility on Google Map and tap "View on Google Maps" to launch the application.

Places of peace near you: